From Mauro Martina, OEB Café
- 1-2 oz. organic cold-pressed canola oil
- 1 very large or 2 medium-size butternut squash (organic, locally grown), peeled and diced into 1-inch cubes
- 5 fresh bay leaves, if available, or 3 dry ones will do
- sea salt and fresh-cracked pepper
- 1/3 c. onion jam (sourced at any fine food store)
- approx. 2 c. vegetable stock or cold water
- 1 t. porcini paste (a fine food store may have it or something similar)
- 1 T. tartufata (mushroom and truffle paste), (from a good mushroom vendor)
- 1 t. white truffle oil to finish
Pre-heat a large braising pot with canola oil, add squash and sauté for about 5-8 minutes over medium heat – try not to give the squash too much colour. Add bay leaves, season with salt and pepper. Add onion jam, stir well, lower heat to medium-low and cook for about 5 minutes. Add stock or water until squash is just about covered. Let simmer on low heat for about 20-25 minutes. Taste for seasoning, add porcini paste and tartufata, stir well, adjust seasoning if needed.
Just before serving, add truffle oil. Serve with your favourite roast, as a side for any fish, over egg noodles or whatever your heart desires! Serves 4.