Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Walnuts and Swiss Cheese
Adapted from a recipe in Chile Pepper magazine, March 2014
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 4 T. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 T. sea salt, divided
- fresh ground black pepper
- 8 oz. Swiss cheese, cubed
- 1 c. toasted walnuts
- 2 c. baby spinach or other favourite greens
- grilled shrimp or chicken to garnish (optional)
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Toss the cauliflower with 2 T. olive oil, 1 t. salt and a big grind of pepper, then spread it out on a baking sheet lined with foil. Roast, tossing occasionally, until tender and golden, about 30 minutes. Remove and allow to rest 10 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 T. olive oil, 1 t. salt and a big grind of pepper.
In a large salad bowl, toss the warm cauliflower, cheese and walnuts with the oil mixture until well coated. Place the spinach or other greens on two or three dinner plates and top with the cauliflower mixture. If you wish, garnish with grilled shrimp or chicken. Serves 2 or 3 for supper.