From Andrew Richardson, Blink Restaurant.
- 2 onions, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large eggplants, cut into 1/2-inch dice, using both skin and flesh
- 6 zucchinis, cut into 1/2-inch dice, using both skin and flesh
- 2 red bell peppers, cored and seeded, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 yellow bell peppers, cored and seeded, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 8 oz. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 roma tomatoes, roughly chopped into1/2-inch dice
- basil leaves (optional)
In a large sauté pan, slowly cook the onion and garlic in some of the olive oil until very tender but not browned. This will take some time, to develop the natural sweetness of both vegetables. Remove and reserve.
In the same pan, slowly cook the eggplant, zucchini and peppers separately, each with a sprig of thyme, in more of the olive oil until very tender but not browned. Season with sea salt to taste and a grind or two of black pepper. When each batch of vegetables becomes tender, remove and reserve. Remove the thyme sprigs. When all the vegetables are cooked, return them to the pan over a gentle heat and stir in the tomatoes. Tear the basil leaves and stir them into the vegetables if desired. Check the seasoning and serve. Serves 6.