Grilled Sour Dough Panzanella Italian Bread Salad
- 4 1/2-inch-thick slices of rustic Italian-style bread
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes cut into large chunks
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 3 T. red wine vinegar
- 2 shallots, cut into thin rings
- 1 small English cucumber, seeded and diced
- 3 T. chopped basil
- 3 T. chopped mint
- 2 T. capers, rinsed
Brush bread with 1/4 c. oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the bread on both sides until toasted. When cool enough to handle, cut or break it into cubes and place in a wide bowl.
Strain the tomatoes into a bowl making sure to reserve the liquid.
Whisk together the garlic, vinegar, shallots and salt and pepper with the remaining 1/4 c. olive oil, then whisk in the liquid from the strained tomatoes. Add the tomatoes, cucumber, basil, mint and capers to the bread cubes and toss gently with the dressing. Add more olive oil if required for the salad to be moist. Taste for seasoning and serve. Serves 6.