Garlicky Parmesan Fries
How to improve on crisp oven-roasted fries? Add plenty of garlic and let it mellow during the final minutes of cooking.
- 2 lb. russet potatoes, cut lengthwise into even sticks
- 1/4 c. canola or olive oil (not extra-virgin)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 c. freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1-2 T. chopped flat-leaf parsley
Preheat the oven to 450°F. In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with half the oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on a heavy, rimmed baking sheet.
Roast the potatoes, turning occasionally, for 20 minutes, or until they’re pale golden and soft.
Whisk the garlic into the remaining oil. Remove the fries from the oven, drizzle with the garlicky oil, sprinkle with parmesan and parsley and gently toss to coat. Turn the heat up to 450°F and bake for another 10 minutes, until golden and crisp. Serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.