From Geoff Last
I’ve tried dozens of slaw recipes over the years. This one is a hybrid of sorts from some of my favourites and has become a standby.
- 1/2 c. champagne vinegar (red wine vinegar is fine as well)
- 2 t. honey
- 1/2 small head green cabbage, julienned
- 1/2 small red cabbage, julienned
- 1 tart apple, sliced thinly and julienned
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 c. sour cream
- 1/2 t. dry mustard
- pinch of cayenne
- 2 T. minced chives
- 1/4 c. flat-leaf parsley
Warm the vinegar in a small saucepan until hot, then remove it from the heat and add the honey, whisking to combine. Combine the cabbages, apple and carrot in a large bowl. Pour the honey vinegar over the cabbage mixture and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Let the cabbage mixture rest for 15 minutes before finishing. In a small bowl mix the sour cream, mustard, cayenne and herbs, then toss with the cabbage mixture. Adjust seasoning and chill until ready to serve.
Serves 6 to 8.