Candied Pancetta, Banyuls and Feta Salad
From Jenni Neidhart
This salad is a vibrant mix of hearty greens and refreshing grapefruit that is hard to resist with its Banyuls vinegar and grainy mustard vinaigrette topped with salty, sweet and crisp pancetta. Banyuls is a wine vinegar made from grapes grown in the French region of Banyuls-sur-Mer. Aged in oak barrels, this vinegar develops a complex nutty flavour.
- 1 head radicchio, thinly sliced
- 3 heads Belgian endive, thinly sliced
- 1 head green leaf lettuce, washed, dried and torn
- 1 basket of grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 c. crumbled feta cheese
- 3 red grapefruits, segmented
- 1/4 c. Marcona almonds (find in specialty food stores)
- 16 thin slices pancetta
- 2 T. mild honey
- Banyuls Vinaigrette
- 1/4 c. Banyuls vinegar (find in specialty food stores)
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- 1 T. grainy mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
Place the radicchio, endive, lettuce, tomatoes, feta, grapefruit and Marcona almonds in a large salad bowl and gently toss to combine.
Lay the pancetta on a baking sheet and drizzle with honey. Place under a hot broiler for 5 to 6 minutes until crisp. Leave to cool slightly, then crumble the pancetta over the salad.
To make the dressing whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. Drizzle over the salad, toss to combine and serve. Serves 8.