Butter Poached Parsnip Puree
From Chef Lancelot Monteiro, Cilantro Restaurant
- 4 parsnips, sliced into thin coins
- 1 small yellow onion cut into long, thin strips (julienne style)
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 200 g (6 oz.) unsalted butter
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) dry white wine
- 250 ml (1 cup) 35% cream
- 250 ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- salt and white pepper (to taste)
Heat the butter on medium/high heat until it comes to a boil. Remove any foam that comes to the surface when it reaches boiling point.
Add the onions and garlic to the butter. Cook on medium/low heat for 10-15 minutes, but do not brown the onions. Add the herbs and parsnips and cook for 5 minutes. Deglaze with white wine, add the cream and stock.
Simmer for 20-30 mins on low heat.
Remove the thyme, rosemary and bay leaf.
Puree using food processor until smooth, and season with salt and white pepper to taste.