Browned Butter Kale Salad with Hazelnuts and Pears
From Julie Van Rosendaal
Warm butter tames kale, mellowing it and making it more pliable in a salad. Leaving the butter over the heat to brown adds an irresistible nuttiness that’s perfect with sliced pear, chopped hazelnuts and parmesan.
- 1/2 bunch kale, leaves removed and thinly sliced
- 4-5 Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced or shaved (discard stem ends) – optional
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1-2 T. lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 ripe but firm pear, chopped
- 1/2 c. roughly chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 1/4-1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese or aged Grizzly Gouda
Put the kale and Brussels sprouts in a serving bowl. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat and cook, swirling the pan occasionally, until the foam starts turning golden and nutty-smelling. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Pour over the kale, scraping out the bottom of the pan to get any browned bits, and toss to coat well. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Add the pear, hazelnuts and cheese, then toss and serve. Serves 4.