- Olive oil
- 2 slices of bacon, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1 large leek, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 zucchini, grated
- 4 c. chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 T. thinly sliced fresh mint
- Crème fraîche or sour cream as a garnish
Add enough olive oil to a large pot to cover the bottom, turn the heat to high, and cook the bacon until a bit browned but not crisp. Add the onion, cook for a few minutes, turn the heat down and add the chopped leek. Cook until the water has been released from the vegetables, turn the heat to very low, cover the pot and allow the vegetables to sweat for at least 15 minutes and up to 30 minutes. Don’t let them brown; they should be luscious and sweet.
Add garlic and zucchini, turn the heat up and cook until most of the
water has been released from the zucchini, but don’t brown. Add mint and garnish with a dollop of crème fraîche or sour cream. Serves 4.