Pear Fennel and Acorn Squash Soup
From Dalia Kohen and Tabitha Archer, owners of the popular and tasty vegetarian restaurant The Coup.
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced (green fennel fronds reserved)
- 3 shallots, peeled and minced
- 1-1/2 T. olive oil
- 2 pears, cored and cubed
- 5 c. vegetable stock
- 1-inch piece of ginger, minced
- 1/2 t. ground cinnamon
- 2 medium acorn squashes, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 c. coconut milk
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Sauté fennel and shallots in a pan with 1 T. oil until light brown, stirring constantly. Add the remaining oil and the pears. Sauté for another 1 to 2 minutes.
In a large pot, combine the stock, ginger, cinnamon and squash. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. When the squash is almost cooked, add the pear mixture, coconut milk, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and blend. Serve garnished with the green fennel fronds. Serves 4 as a light meal or 6 as an appetizer.