Scallop Ceviche with Thai Mango and Apple Slaw
- 8 large, fresh scallops (2 per person), thinly sliced
- 2 limes – zest of one, juice of both
- 2 T. yuzu juice or ponzu (salted yuzu juice), available at Asian stores
- 6 canned lychees, thinly sliced
- 1/2 c. lychee juice
- pinch of Maldon salt
Place the scallops into a non-reactive, shallow dish. Combine the lime juice, zest, yuzu and lychee slices and juice in a small bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pour the juice over the scallops. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours to marinate.
Thai Mango and Apple Slaw:
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/4 bird’s eye chile, finely minced (or 1 t. sambal oelek, finely minced, available at Asian stores)
- 1 T. palm sugar, finely chopped (available at Asian stores), or brown sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 T. fish sauce
- 1 green mango, peeled and sliced into thin strips (available at Asian stores)
- 1 gala or ambrosia apple, skin on, sliced into thin strips
- 1 Thai basil leaf, coarsely chopped
- extra virgin olive oil, to sprinkle
Combine the garlic, chile, sugar, lemon juice and fish sauce in a medium bowl and whisk well to dissolve the sugar. Add the green mango and apple and toss well. Taste and add more chile or fish sauce to taste. Gently mix the basil into the salad when ready to serve.
To serve: Drain the marinade from the ceviche and arrange the scallops artfully on each of 4 salad plates. Pile the salad on the centre of the scallop slices, sprinkle the olive oil over, then sprinkle a little more Maldon salt. Serve immediately. Serves 4.