Mussels with Leeks Shallots and Grant’s Whisky Cream Sauce
From Grant’s Whisky
This recipe from Grant’s Whisky will warm the cockles of your heart in the deep, dark, dead of winter.
- 2 T. butter
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 c. thinly sliced leeks, white part only
- 1/2 c. julienned carrots
- 2 lbs. mussels, de-bearded
- 1/2 c. Grant’s Scotch Whisky, or your favourite scotch
- 1/2 c. vegetable stock
- 1/4 c. whipping cream
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 T. chopped fresh parsley (garnish)
In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Add the leek and carrot and cook another 2 minutes. Turn the heat to high. Add the mussels, whisky and stock. Cover and cook about 5 minutes, or until the mussels have opened. Remove from the heat, uncover, and stir in the cream and salt and pepper. Transfer to two shallow bowls, discarding any mussels that haven’t opened. Garnish with parsley and serve with good, toothsome bread. Serves 2.