Gail Norton’s Lobster Cakes
From Gail Norton
This recipe is equally delicious using a combination of smoked trout and trout, salmon, halibut or crab meat.
- 400 g package frozen lobster, defrosted, well drained and chopped roughly
- 1 egg yolk + 1 whole egg
- 1 T. minced chives
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves removed from stems
- generous pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 generous T. of grainy mustard
- 2 T. mayonnaise
- 1/2 c. + 1 c. panko
- oil for cooking
- Mix together the following ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use:
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 3 T. crème fraîche or buttermilk
- 1/2 preserved lemon rind, finely minced (preserved lemons are found in Middle Eastern groceries and specialty food stores)
- 1 T. minced parsley
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced finely
- pinch of salt
Gently mix together the lobster, eggs, chives, thyme leaves, salt, pepper, mustard and mayonnaise. Begin adding the 1/2 c. panko, a generous tablespoon at a time, until the mixture, when squeezed, binds together.
Put the 1 c. of panko on a plate. Form the lobster mixture into the desired-sized patties and coat them well with the panko. Move the patties to a cookie sheet and refrigerate them until you‘re ready to cook. Fry the patties in hot oil in a large sauté pan on both sides until golden. Serve with the following sauce. Makes 12 medium-sized lobster cakes.