Dungeness Crab Scallop Sausage with Pickled Salad
From the Vin Room Restaurant
- 4 large scallops
- 4 oz Dungeness lump crabmeat
- 3 large tiger prawns, shelled (21/25 per lb count)
- 2 T. whipping cream
- 1 T. chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 roma tomato, juiced and seeded, diced small
- Lemon juice to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 piece of caul fat (at your favourite butcher, such as Second to None Meats)
In a food processor lightly pulse scallops, prawns and half the crabmeat with the cream. Pour into a bowl and fold in parsley and tomatoes; season with lemon juice and salt and pepper. Form mixture into two 4-inch long cylinders that are approximately an inch and a half wide. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and secure both ends. Wrap tightly once more with tin foil and then lightly poach in simmering water for 5 minutes. Remove and chill in an ice water bath for 2 minutes then refrigerate for an hour. Once the sausage is set, wrap with caul fat and lightly brown in a hot pan until warm. Reserve.
Pickled Vegetable Salad
- Handful of pitted picholine olives
- 1 roma tomato, seeded and diced
- Frisée lettuce
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- Pickled vegetables: baby carrot rounds, radish slices, halved green beans, halved asparagus, red onion slices
To Pickle Vegetables
Bring to a boil in a pot 1 T. each whole coriander seed and mustard seed, 5 bay leaves, ½ t. black peppercorns, 6 c. white wine vinegar, 1 t. chile flakes, 1 T. each kosher salt and sugar. Pickle the vegetables separately: place each of the vegetables separately in mason jars or Tupperware containers and pour hot pickling liquid over until fully submerged. Cover and refrigerate. Pickled vegetables will be ready in 2 days but leave for a week or longer for better flavour.
Toss salad ingredients together, adjust taste with lemon juice or olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve.
Place a portion of the pickled vegetable salad on 4 plates. Slice the seafood sausage and place slices on top of the vegetable salad. Serves 4.