Adapted from a recipe in East West Food, a collection of recipes from ten chefs. Savoury caramel is almost better than sweet caramel. Almost.
- ½ c. brown sugar
- ¼ c. fish sauce (nuoc mam/nam pla) quality, like Golden Boy or Aroy-D
- ¼ c. water
Boil ingredients until sugar dissolves and sauce is slightly thickened. Reserve.
- Vegetable oil
- 2 t. minced garlic
- ½ onion, sliced thin
- 16 large, peeled, de-veined shrimp
- ½ t. pepper
- 1 – 2 t. chile oil or chile paste
- 4 green onions, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- Lettuce leaves & lime slices for serving
Heat oil in a wok. Add the garlic and onion and fry until golden. Add the shrimp, pepper, chili oil or paste, onions and 3 tablespoons of the caramel. Stir-fry until the shrimp turn pink and curl. Don’t overcook. Serve on a bed of lettuce leaves and squeeze lime over. Drizzle with a bit more caramel. Serves 4 as an appetizer or 2 as a main dish with rice.