Caramelized Red Onion Jam
- 2 T. each butter and olive oil
- 4 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 3 T. each white and brown sugar
- 1/2 t. each salt, pepper and dried thyme
- 1/2 c. balsamic or sherry vinegar
Melt the butter with the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are a bit soft. Add the sugar, salt, pepper and thyme. Stir to combine and continue to cook over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring often to make sure the sugar doesn’t burn. Add the vinegar and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, for an additional 30 to 40 minutes until thick and jammy. Cool completely and store in the fridge until ready to serve. Makes about 2 cups.