Rice Noodle Salad
From Geoff Last
- 6 oz. rice vermicelli noodles
- 1/4 c. rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- 1 T. sugar
- 1 T. Asian fish sauce
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 carrot, coarsely shredded
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and julienned
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 c. each loosely packed mixed fresh mint and loosely packed fresh basil
- 1/4 c. chopped unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
Soak the noodles in hot water 10 minutes, drain them in a sieve, then cook in a 4-quart pot of boiling water, uncovered, until tender, about 1 minute. Drain again and run the noodles under cold water until cold. Drain well and pat dry.
Whisk together the vinegar, sugar, fish sauce, and salt in a large bowl until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Add the noodles, carrot, cucumber, scallions, herbs, and peanuts, tossing to combine. Set aside. Serves 4.