Provenal Caramelized Onion Pizza
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 1 lb. yellow or white onions, thinly sliced
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 1 T. each of minced fresh marjoram and fresh thyme
- 1 ½ t. minced fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- 12 anchovy fillets
- 1 c. pitted niçoise olives
- 1 T. capers
- 1 ½ T. pine nuts
- ½ lemon, sliced paper-thin
- Minced flat-leaf parsley for garnish
In saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, fresh herbs and salt and pepper. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and stir occasionally until onions are soft (about 30 minutes). Uncover, increase heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently until onions are well caramelized (about 25 minutes). Set aside.
Preheat oven to 500°F. Roll out the pizza dough and brush it with olive oil. Top with caramelized onions, then arrange anchovy fillets, olives, capers, pine nuts and lemon slices over the onions. Sprinkle with parsley. Bake on top rack for 10 to 12 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
Makes one 16-inch pizza or four individual pizzas.