Kale Salad with Grilled Shrimp or Chicken
From City Palateer, Liz Tompkins
I like a brightly coloured salad with lots of ingredients that are really good for me, and I buy organic whenever I can. Any kind of protein would work, but my favourite is shrimp or chicken. This salad holds well into the next day, so if you make too much you can have it for lunch.
- 1 bunch kale
- 1/2 head radicchio, chopped or slivered
- 4 Brussels sprouts, slivered
- 1 head Belgian endive, sliced crosswise
- 1 avocado, cubed
- handful dried cranberries or chopped dried apricots
- handful slivered toasted almonds for garnish
- 2 – 3 T. chopped cilantro (optional)
- grilled shrimp or chicken sliced into manageable pieces to top off the salad – leftovers work great!
Combine the kale, radicchio and Brussels sprouts in a large bowl. Drizzle some of your favourite vinaigrette over the mixture, and with a clean hand, massage the vinaigrette gently into the kale mixture. This process softens the kale and spreads around the vinaigrette very evenly.
Add the endive, avocado and cranberries or apricot and toss well. Drizzle in a bit more vinaigrette if you like. Plate the salad and top with slivered almonds and the chicken or shrimp. Serves 4 for supper.
- 1 c. good-quality olive oil
- 1/2 c. sherry vinegar
- 1 t. Dijon mustard
- 2-3 T. dark maple syrup
- 1 t. salt
- pinch of fresh or dried thyme (optional)
Whisk all ingredients together well; the extra vinaigrette stores well in the fridge to dress future salads.