Honey Hazelnut Granola
Homemade granola is simple to make. It can be customized to suit your taste using any combination of nuts, seeds and dried fruit you choose. The combination of hazelnuts, cherries and honey is especially nice. Serve with thick plain yogurt drizzled with a little more honey.
- 6 c. old-fashioned (large flake) oats
- 1 – 2 c. flaked hazelnuts or other chopped or sliced nuts
- ¼ t. salt
- Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- 2/3 – 1 c. honey
- ¼ c. flaxor canola oil (optional)
- 1 t. vanilla, almond or coconut extract
- ½ c. dried cherries or cranberries
Preheat oven to 300°F. In a large bowl, combine oats, hazelnuts, salt and cinnamon. In a small bowl, stir together the honey, flax oil and vanilla. Pour over the oats and toss to coat them well.
Spread the mixture on a large rimmed baking sheet and bake for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring a few times until the mixture is golden. Remove from oven and stir in dried cherries or cranberries. Let granola cool completely on baking sheet before transferring to an airtight container. Makes about 8 cups.