Curried Quinoa Salad with Black Beans and Mango
This is one of those grainy salads that’s light and flavourful enough to make you want to eat it every day. It travels well, so it’s perfect to pack along for lunch.
- 1 c. quinoa
- 1/4 c. canola oil
- 2 – 4 T. white wine or white balsamic vinegar
- 1 t. honey
- 1 t. mild curry powder or paste
- 1/4 t. cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 – 2 ripe mangoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 red or yellow pepper, chopped
- 1/4 English cucumber, chopped
- 2 – 3 green onions or a chunk of purple onion, chopped
- 2 c. (packed) baby spinach, torn or sliced (optional)
- 1 c. canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- handful of torn cilantro (optional)
Rinse quinoa well under cool water in a fine sieve, then cook in a pot of boiling salted water over medium heat until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. (Just like you’d cook pasta.) Drain well, return to the pot, drape a kitchen towel overtop, put the lid back on and let it steam – this will produce fluffy quinoa – until cooled.
Combine the oil, vinegar, honey, curry and cumin in a jar or small bowl and shake or whisk to blend. If you like, season the dressing with salt and pepper. Put the quinoa, mango, vegetables and beans in a large bowl and drizzle with the dressing. Toss the salad until it’s well coated. Garnish with cilantro. Serves 4 to 6.