Almond Mole with Chicken – Mole Almendrado
- 1 chicken (3 lbs) cut into pieces plus 1 whole chicken breast
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 c. whole blanched almonds
- 2 slices firm white bread, torn into pieces
- 3 to 4 roma or plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole allspice berries
- 4 peppercorns
- Salt to taste
- 3 c. chicken stock plus 2 T. chicken bouillon
- 2 ancho chiles
- 1 – 2 T. dry sherry (optional)
- Toasted slivered almonds and slivered olives to garnish
Heat the oil in a skillet, add the chicken and sauté until golden brown. Transfer the chicken to a large pot and set aside.
In the same skillet, sauté the onion, garlic, almonds and bread. Transfer the ingredients to a blender and add the tomatoes, cinnamon, allspice, peppercorns, salt and chicken stock.
In the same skillet, toast the ancho chiles, pressing each chile with a spatula for about 5 seconds then flip and press again. In a small bowl, cover the chiles with hot water and let them rehydrate for 15 minutes. Drain, de-stem and de-seed and transfer to the blender.
Blend the sauce until smooth, add the sherry (optional) and pour over the reserved chicken. Cook, covered, over low heat until the sauce thickens slightly and the chicken is cooked. Add salt if necessary. Garnish with almonds and olives. Serves 6.