Saskatchewan Black Lentil and Edgar Farms Aparagus Salad with Fairwinds Farm Goat Cheese Vinaigrette on Beef Carpaccio
From Chef Andrew Winfield, River Café
- 1 lb. center-cut beef tenderloin, one whole piece
- 1 t. ground juniper berries
- 1 t. Maldon salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1 T. chopped thyme
- 1 T. extra-virgin olive oil
Combine the seasoning ingredients and rub it onto the tenderloin; allow to sit for 1 hour. Turn on your grill to very high heat and allow it to get searing hot, about 10 minutes. Grill the beef for 1 minute, rolling it every 15 seconds to mark the exterior.
Remove and let sit for 15 minutes, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for 2 hours. Remove the plastic wrap and slice the beef with a very sharp knife into slices about 1/8 -inch thick. Reserve.
Black Lentil and Asparagus Salad:
- 4 c. asparagus spears cut into 2-inch pieces (at this time of year, you might use green beans instead of asparagus)
- 4 c. cooked Saskatchewan black beluga lentils (at specialty food stores)
- 1 c. kohlrabi cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 c. mesclun salad greens
Prepare an ice-water bath in a large bowl. Blanch the asparagus pieces in salted boiling water just until the spears turn bright green, approximately 10-15 seconds.
Plunge them into the ice water bath; after 30 seconds, remove and drain them.
Mix the remaining ingredients together and add the asparagus. Toss together with vinaigrette.
Fairwinds Farm Goat Cheese Vinaigrette:
- 3 T. apple cider vinegar
- 1 T. shallots, finely minced
- 1 t. garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 c. Three Farmers camelina oil
- 3 T. parsley, chopped
- 2 T. chives, chopped fine
- 1 T. grainy mustard
- 1/4 c. Fairwinds Farm chèvre, crumbled
- salt and pepper
In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, shallots and garlic and let sit for 5 minutes. Add the camelina oil, parsley, chives, mustard and chèvre. Whisk to combine, season with a touch of salt and fresh cracked pepper. Dress the salad.
To plate: lay 6 – 8 slices of beef carpaccio on 6 plates and top with about 1 cup of lentil and asparagus salad. Enjoy some of the tastiest lentils you’ll ever have! Serves 6.