Duck Hash with Eggs
This is robust and uncomplicated. If you prefer, substitute cooked shredded pork, lamb shanks or leftover shredded beef short ribs.
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or sliced
- 2 T. unsalted butter
- 2 T. olive oil
- 3 c. diced cooked potatoes
- 2 c. duck rillettes or diced/shredded duck confit or shredded cooked meat of choice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 fried or poached eggs per person
- chopped parsley for garnish
Combine the onion and garlic in a sauté pan with the butter and oil. Cook for 10 minutes or until the onions are transparent. Add the potatoes, meat, salt and pepper. Fry the mixture without disturbing it for 10 minutes until it turns crusty and brown. Meanwhile, heat a pot of water for poaching eggs or a frypan for frying eggs. When the hash is crusty, cook the eggs. Serve wedges of the hash topped with eggs and a sprinkle of parsley. Serves 4.