Cola Braised Bison Short Ribs
From Chef Lancelot Monteiro, Cilantro Restaurant
- cold pressed canola oil (for frying)
- 8 bison short ribs – 3 to 4 inches long
- 1 medium sized yellow onion (medium dice)
- 2 carrots (medium dice)
- 3 celery sticks (medium dice)
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 16 black peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 garlic head (cut in half)
- 2 cans of 355ml cola
- 250 ml (1 cup) dry red wine
- 1L (4 cups) bison or beef stock
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Preheat oven to 300° F.
Season bison short ribs with salt and pepper. Set aside. Using a large braising pot, heat oil to a medium/high heat, sear the ribs on all sides until browned, not cooked. Remove the ribs from the pot and set aside. Add the celery, carrots and onions to the pot and sear for 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme and rosemary, cook for 2 minutes, then deglaze with the cola and wine. Add the bison stock, seared ribs and bring to a boil.
Place pot in the pre-heated oven with no lid and braise for 4.5-6 hours. When the ribs are tender, remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes. Carefully remove the ribs from the braise and set aside. Strain the braising liquid into a new pot, reducing the liquid by half.