Braised Beef Tenderloin with Oxtail Potatopav
Oxtail Potato Pavé:
- 4 Yukon Gold potates, peeled
- 4 oz. double-smoked bacon, sliced thin and sautéed until crisp
- 7 oz. oxtail meat, braised in 2 c. veal or beef stock over very low heat for about 8 hours, then removed from the bone and cartilage and cut into small pieces (reserve the braising liquid for this recipe and the beef tenderloin recipe)
- kosher salt and finely ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. oxtail braising liquid, room temp.
- 4 oz. cave-aged gruyère or raclette cheese (1 oz. per person), available at specialty cheese shops
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a loaf pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Slice the potatoes very thin using a mandoline – the slices should be translucent. Layer them into the pan, keeping the potatoes level from side to side. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper between the layers.
When you have a layer 1/2-inch thick, sprinkle half the crispy bacon over the potatoes. Then continue to layer the potatoes until you’ve used 2 potatoes. Spread the oxtail meat evenly over the potatoes and press lightly. Layer the last 2 potatoes over the oxtail meat, sprinkling the remainder of the crisp bacon when halfway through this process, as before.
When all the potato is layered in, press lightly and pour the 1/4 c. oxtail braising liquid over. Press again so the liquid sinks into the dish. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place on the oven’s centre rack. Bake 45 minutes, then remove the foil and bake another 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender all the way through.
Remove the pavé from the oven, cool to room temp, then place a weight on the potatoes and refrigerate so they become tightly packed, at least 5 to 6 hours, or overnight. When cold, run a knife around the sides and warm the bottom of the pan. Turn the pan upside-down to release the pavé, then cut it into 1-inch thick slices. Place a slice of gruyère or raclette on top of each portion and reheat in a 325°F oven for 12 minutes. Serve the pavé beside the braised beef tenderloin.
Braised Beef Tenderloin:
- 4 beef tenderloin portions, about 6 oz. each
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 3 T. vegetable or grapeseed oil
- 1 c. hot oxtail braising liquid (from the Oxtail Potato Pavé recipe)
- 3 T. cold butter, cut into cubes
- 3 T. prepared horseradish
- squeeze of lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Preheat an ovenproof sauté pan to moderate heat. Season the tenderloin with salt and pepper. Sear the beef in the sauté pan on all sides until well caramelized. Pour the hot oxtail braising liquid into the pan and place the pan in the oven. Turn the beef in the braise every 5 minutes and cook until desired doneness, 10 to 15 minutes for medium rare. Remove the pan and remove the tenderloin to a warm area to rest.
While the tenderloins are resting, reduce the braising liquid by half, then whisk in the butter, followed by the horseradish and lemon juice. Plate the beef with the pavé and carrot purée, or any other desired vegetable, and pour some of the braising sauce over the beef. Serve immediately. Serves 4.