From Madeleine MacDonald, Model Milk
If you’re only using cognac as an after-dinner drink, then let this simple way to make cognac shine in a house-made tonic to help open your mind.
- 2 oz. cognac
- 1 oz. Model Milk Tonic Syrup (recipe follows)
- 1 dash lime
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- Combine all ingredients in a rocks glass with ice. Top with soda and stir.
- Model Milk Tonic Syrup:
- 4 c. water
- 3 T. citric acid
- 3 T cinchona bark (Silk Road Spice Merchants)
- 3 stalks lemongrass (white bulb only, roughly chopped)
- 3 limes, zested and juiced
- 4 c. sugar
Put everything except the sugar into a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 min. Strain the solids, add the sugar and continue to heat until the sugar has dissolved. Cool and store for up to 2 weeks in the fridge to use as desired.
Makes one cocktail.