The Knight We Met
From David Bain, Bridgette Bar
With the help of some bittersweet grapefruit, lemon and red tea simple syrup, the bold flavour profiles of whiskey and rum balance each other in this pleasant sipper.
- 1 oz. Buffalo Trace
- 1 oz. good quality dark rum
- 3/4 oz. fresh grapefruit juice
- 1/4 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 oz. “Hopped” Rooibos Tea Simple Syrup (recipe follows)
- 2 dashes lime bitters
- Place all ingredients in a shaker, fill with ice and shake well. Strain into a chilled coupe and serve. Optional garnish: grapefruit peel
- “Hopped” Rooibos Tea Simple Syrup:
- 6 c. purified water
- 5 T. rooibos tea leaves
- 2 T. cascade hops (pellets can be purchased at most home beer stores in Calgary)
- 4 c. white sugar
Place all but the sugar in a pot and bring to a boil. Let the liquid reduce by 1/3, then strain the solids and add the sugar. Heat until the sugar has dissolved. Store in the fridge to use as desired.
Makes one cocktail.