The Bad Mind
From Stephen Phipps, Ricardo’s Hideaway
Summertime means rum time. This recipe uses an infused vinegar and a berry simple syrup and the result is one of the most interesting, refreshing drinks you’ll have all summer.
- 2 oz. Coruba rum
- 3/4 oz. Jerk Vinegar (recipe follows)
- 1-1/4 oz. Strawberry Tobacco Syrup (recipe follows)
- Stir all ingredients together and serve over crushed ice in a rocks glass.
- Jerk Vinegar:
- 3 cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
- 1 T. whole allspice
- 1/4 t. grated nutmeg
- 1 T. black peppercorn
- 1/4 c. peeled and roughly chopped ginger
- 1 fresh Thai chile, seeded
- 950 mL bottle organic apple cider vinegar
Preheat oven to 250°F. Place all ingredients, except the Thai chile and vinegar, in the oven and toast for roughly 1 minute. Once toasted, add the vinegar and turn the heat down to 150°F. Stir to incorporate and immediately turn off heat and let cool. Once cool, strain back into the apple cider vinegar bottle.
Strawberry Tobacco Syrup:
- 3 c. quartered strawberries
- 6 c. water
- 1 T. pipe tobacco (if the tobacco sounds a little too unusual, you can leave it out, but your drink will not have the subtle smokiness)
- white sugar
In a medium pot over high heat, boil the strawberries and water until soft. Put into a blender and blend. Strain the mixture until you have 4 cups of strawberry purée-like water. Add the tobacco and let sit for one hour. Strain the tobacco out and add enough sugar to create a simple syrup with a 1:1 ratio. Simmer until sugar is dissolved, then let cool.
Makes one cocktail