Christmas Morning Wife Saver
From The Best of Bridge
This savoury layered pud will do nicely at any time of the year.
- 16 slices of white bread, crusts removed
- slices of cooked Canadian back bacon and sharp cheddar cheese to cover the bread
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1/2 – 1 t. dry mustard
- 1/4 c. minced onion
- 1/4 c. finely chopped green pepper
- 1 – 2 t. Worcestershire sauce
- 3 c. milk
- dash Tabasco
- 1/4 lb. butter
- Special K or cornflakes, crushed
Put 8 pieces of bread in a buttered 9 x13-inch glass baking dish. Cover the bottom entirely. Cover the bread with thinly sliced bacon. Top with slices of cheese. Cover with another layer of bread. In a bowl, beat the eggs and pepper together, then beat in the mustard, onion, green pepper, Worcestershire sauce, milk and Tabasco. Pour the mixture over the bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, melt the butter and pour it over top. Cover the top with crushed Special K or cornflakes and bake the dish in a preheated 350°F oven, uncovered, for 60 minutes. Let it sit 10 minutes before serving. Cut into squares to serve.